Seniors Helping Seniors proudly supports the Alzheimer's Association Delaware Valley Chapter!
We see all too many of the ravaging effects of Alzheimer's Disease and other types of dementia in our daily work taking care of seniors in their homes. Did you know Alzheimer's is the 6th leading cause of death? And the only Top 10 cause of death that, at least so far, can't be prevented, cured, or even slowed?
And yet, it doesn't receive nearly enough research funding. According to an AARP article, last year, "Washington has committed some $5.4 billion this fiscal year to cancer research, about $1.2 billion to heart disease and $3 billion to research on HIV/AIDS. Research funding for Alzheimer's will reach only about $566 million.
As part of our community service mission at Seniors Helping Seniors, we also participate in numerous other ways to get the word out about Alzheimer's Disease, including:
- Every year we participate in the Philadelphia Walk to End Alzheimer's
- Brad is a volunteer speaker for the Alzheimer's Association. He can speak to your social club, community center, church group, or any other group. The current topics include:
- Alzheimer's Disease: Know the Basics
- Know the 10 Signs of Alzheimer's Disease
- Dementia Conversations: Going to the doctor, Driving, Financial Preparations
- Many of our staff are trained in the habilitation approach to dementia using the "Caring for People with Alzheimer's Disease" program offered by the Alzheimer's Association Delaware Valley Chapter.
- We encourage advocacy via the Alzheimer's Association Advocates Center